The Friends’ Girls’ School York moved in to Castlegate House in 1831 under the superintendent of Hannah Brady. The school had previously been based in Trinity Lane.
Subjects studied at Castlegate included Arithmetic, Latin and English Grammar. In 1836, funding became available to train young women to teach. Girls who trained at the school left equipped with the ability to earn a living and become independent women. In 1856, led by Rachel Tregelles, the school moved to its present home a large purpose built house with vast gardens, at The Mount.
When was our School based in Castlegate?