Girls at The Mount can pursue academic excellence. Girls take centre stage without competition from boys.
A girl’s inner confidence gained from our all-girls setting means they are free to focus their energies on their learning. Through a bespoke education and tailored teaching, we inspire each girl to strive for personal excellence.
The Mount School York is consistently one of the top performing schools in York and the North of England. Mount Girls achieve excellent results at A Level and GCSE, securing places at top universities in the UK and abroad.
A Level Results 2018
The Mount School York celebrates A Level and University success in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) and Arts related subjects.
- 71% of girls applying to University have secured places in STEM related courses including one pupil, who will be taking up her unconditional offer from Birmingham University to study Mechanical Engineering.
- Additional STEM course places accepted by Mount girls include, Dentistry, Medicine, Biomedical Science, Accounting & Finance, Product Design Engineering and Psychology.
- 58% of grades in STEM related subjects were A*-B
- 54% of Maths and Further Maths grades at A-A*.
- 100% of Art and Design pupils achieved A-A* grades.
2018’s results reflect the school’s reputation of securing places at top universities to study traditional STEM subjects but also the year on year success in the arts and creative subjects. By incorporating arts into STEM studies, the school encourages pupils to put creativity into the heart of innovation.
Adrienne Richmond, Principal, said, “2018’s results, particularly in the STEM subjects is a hallmark of an all-girls’ education. Girls do better, academically, in an all-girls environment for a number of reasons: our teaching is geared to girls’ learning styles, career aspirations are not limited, girls are more confident about making decisions and learning from their mistakes and there are fewer distractions leaving them free to pursue academic excellence. The Mount offers a bespoke tailored education supporting the development of each girl as an individual. I know the girls have worked extremely hard and I am very proud of their successes.”
GCSE Results 2018
The Mount School York celebrates fantastic GCSE results with a stand out number of A* grades.
- 45% of GCSE grades awarded were A*
- 33% of GCSE grades awarded were Level 8/9 grades.
- Overall, 55% of the grades were A*- A or Level 7/8/9.
- 37% of girls gained at least 5 A*s (or equivalent)
- 48% of girls achieved at least 5 A*s – A (or equivalent).
- 75% of grades were A*- B or 6/7/8/9 grades.
A range of subjects celebrated fantastic results with at least 70% of grades in English Language, History, Spanish, Sport/PE, Geography, Chinese and DT Textiles marked at A*-A or 7/8/9.
Adrienne Richmond, Principal, said, “I am extremely delighted with our GCSE results. The girls have achieved an excellent set of grades in all areas – Languages, Humanities, the Arts, Science, English and Maths. The excellent grades reflect all the girls’ hard work and commitment over the past two years. In a year when it has been acknowledged that GCSEs have become harder, by removing the emphasis on coursework and putting more focus on the end of course exams, I am really proud of all our girls they have achieved.”
2018 is the second year since the introduction of grades 9-1. Traditional A*-G grades have been replaced with a 9 to 1 system, with 9 the highest grade. Last year only English and Maths were marked under the new system; this year an additional 20 subjects have been awarded in the new style grades. An 8 or 9 grade is broadly equivalent to an A*, 7 is equal to an A, a 6 is equal to a B and a 5/4 is equal to C.
|A Level||GCSE (Letter Grades)||GCSE (Level Grades)|
|5% A*||45% A*||15% Level 9|
|37% A and above||52% A and above||38% Level 8 and above|
|67% B and above||71% B and above||57% Level 7 and above|
|92% C and above||88% C and above||77% Level 6 and above|
|90% Level 5 and above|